Sunday, July 29, 2012

What is Your Headline?



An article in The Dallas Morning News, July 29, 2012, edition “Summing It Up” on page 1J, by Cliff Garinn, contrasts the difference between an Objective Statement and a Summary of Qualifications on your resume.

Resumes should be tailored for the intended audience.  I think it is important for a job applicant to assume the role of the hiring company as a resume is developed.  I personally think that the hiring company needing an employee may have limited concern about an applicant’s objectives.  Rather, I think the hiring company wants to know if an applicant can be immediately productive for the company.

You may quickly tell me that the company may be hiring for an employee for the long haul.  Perhaps you are right; however, in today’s economy, many organizations are more worried about the near term in order to survive.

You typically read an article in a newspaper or magazine because you are attracted by a headline.  I suggest that you headline your resume with your qualities and experience that are relevant to the company‘s advertised opening.  Many organizations use computers to scan resumes for key words, so you should include relevant words in your headline.    

Please share with readers of this blog or email me at glynjordan@gmail.com your resume headlines.  

Thanks.   Glyn

1 comment:

  1. I thought I would post my headline:

    "Dallas Author Posts Blogs to Assistance Individuals Find Jobs!"

    ReplyDelete