Sunday, September 20, 2009

Working at Home and/or at the Office

An article in the September 20, 2009, issue of The Dallas Morning News page 1J, “The ups and downs of working from home” by Metro Creative Connection, discusses the pros and cons of working from your home. As an online faculty member at the University of Phoenix, I have been working from my home for almost ten years.

Here are the pros and cons the article identified in the article:
1. You can spend time with the kids.
2. You can dress down every day.
3. You can better manage your time.
4. You have more flexible time.
5. You’ll save money.
I believe that you can outline the pros and cons, but please refer to the article if you want to read the author’s opinions.

I think that many jobs in today’s environment have telecommuting components. Frequently, a weekly work schedule includes time at the office as well as time in the home office. If one is paid by the hour, online systems are very effective at recording time worked. On the other hand, if you are paid by the delivery of defined services and products then payment is based on the timely delivery of such products or services. As an online teacher, I have flexibility as to when I do my work; however, I must be attentive to my students on a daily basis. If I am absent for three days from my online class, the school will come looking for me.


Please comment in this blog about your working at home experiences.
Thanks! Glyn

No comments:

Post a Comment