Sunday, April 7, 2013

Focus Your Resume on Job Openings

An article in The Dallas Morning News April 2, 2013, edition, on page 1J “Steps to a Better Resume!” by Cliff Garinn encouraged me to revisit resume construction again.  On August 29, 2010, I posted the following blog:

Key Words and Online Resume
 

 “Treat Your Job Search Like A Job”, an article by Cliff Garinn in the August 29, 2010, edition of The Dallas Morning News in section 1J discusses online programs which employers use to “weed out those who don’t fit the qualifications or who cannot follow instructions.”
 

 I suggest that you tailor your resume for each potential employer. Insert words in your resume that are used in the organization’s advertisement.  If the organization is seeking an outside salesperson and you have relevant experience, you should mention the word outside sales in your resume.  Further, you need to follow the instructions from the organization to the letter!  Creative writing and discussion of unrelated experience should be avoided. 

I have noticed that Google is able to post job ads in my blog based on the subject of the blog.  For example, I suggested that job seekers consider getting alternative certification in order to get a teaching job, and Google posted ads in my blog from organizations providing alternative certification classes.
 

Finally, proof read your email prior to submission.  I develop my postings using Word’s editing and spelling features; unfortunately, I still find errors.  My old saying is that the best way to proof a document is to publish it.
 

It appears that not much has changed concerning resumes in last three years.  It is always important to remember your target audience and your intended purpose - to get a job!  Further,

It is critical to proof read your resume before you distribute it.

Please post a comment or email me at glynjordan@gmail.com your suggestions for resume writing.     

 

Thanks, Glyn

 

  
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment