Sunday, March 31, 2013

Capitalizing on Foreign-Language Skills

An article in The Dallas Morning News March 31, 2013, edition, on page 1J “Wanted in Law Enforcement: Foreign-Language Skills” described how individuals with foreign language skills are an important asset for law enforcement organizations.

As a volunteer interviewer and job counselor at the North Dallas Shared Ministries, http://www.ndsm.org.  I have many opportunities to meet with speakers of other languages – primary Spanish.  As an interviewer, my message to them is to learn English!  I encourage them to watch TV in English, listen to the radio in English, and assist their children with their homework in English.


However, when I am a job counselor and my clients are bilingual, I encourage them to seek job openings for bilingual speakers.  In the Dallas area the target language is primarily Spanish.  The ability to speak more than one language is a major strength which job seekers should use to their advantage. 


Please post a comment or email me at glynjordan@gmail.com if you are bilingual and have found employment using your language skills.     


 

Thanks, Glyn


 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment