Sunday, January 29, 2012

What if you are the Interviewer?



During my human resources classes, I encourage students to stand-up and walk around to the other side of the desk.  Frequently, students only consider a situation from a personal point of view. 

When difficult decisions are required such as reduction in staff or reassignment, it is easy to take the side of an employee.  Many applicants view a job as “what’s in it for me” (WIIFM). However, the hiring manager is asking himself/herself the question, “Will this person assist me in accomplishing my assigned objectives?”.

I am suggesting that as you enter an interview situation that you consider the needs and temperament of the interviewer. You should focus on how you can contribute to the success of the organization in general and to the hiring manager in particular.  
You need to be specific about how your prior accomplishments and experience will be beneficial to the hiring company.  

 I am not suggesting that you blow your horn loudly; however, emphasizing your relevant strengths during the interview would be a good strategy.   

Have you ever considered moving to the other side of the desk?  What is that old expression about walking a mile in someone else’s moccasins? 

Thanks.

Glyn

3 comments: