Sunday, January 8, 2012

Life’s Routines and Finding Employment

Recently I have been thinking about how our lives are replete with daily and weekly routines.  Do you have such routines that occupy your time?  

For example, on every Wednesday my wife and I go to North Dallas Shared Ministries (NDSM) where we volunteer our time to assist people in need.  Wednesday afternoon my wife attends a meeting of ladies in our condo who discuss various current events and share a drop of wine and some nibbles during their discussions.  Fridays are spent volunteering by my wife at NDSM and for me at SCORE.   Saturday includes breakfast at Angela’s.  The Sunday   schedule always includes church followed by lunch at the Corner Bakery, Fernando’s, and Houston’s.  My Mondays frequently included the grading of papers from my Thursday night class. Tuesdays typically includes lunch at the Black Eyed Pea.

As you can see, we are retired; however, I recall that days during my full-time work were also filled with routines.  So I am thinking that job seekers may have also become trapped in a nest of routines.  My concerned here is that staying with unsuccessful routines while not mentally challenging may not result in finding employment.  I have heard many people say that continuing to do the same thing again and again and expecting different results is one definition of insanity.
So what is my message?   I encourage all job seekers to review their weekly activities.  Change something!  There are numerous suggestions for job seekers contained in my blogs.  I suggest that you make a weekly schedule that includes measurable job seeking activities.  Each Monday or perhaps Sunday night, you should review the results of last week’s accomplishment and planning activities for the coming week.  

By developing a measurable work-plan, I think that you will greatly improve the possibility of becoming employed.  Do you have routines that may inhibit your ability to become employed?
Thanks, Glyn


No comments:

Post a Comment