Monday, February 1, 2010

Put Up Your Own Shingle!

Recently there have been many articles published concerning temporary jobs and consulting positions including postings in this blog. Since organizations are reluctant to hire permanent employees because of economic and governmental uncertainly, the demand for short-term workers has increased as organizations’ need for additional personnel as increased.


Several years ago when I was unemployed looking for work, I decided to open my own business. While I am not Bill Gates or Michael Dell, I was relatively successful with my own small business. Consequently, I encourage job seekers with an entrepreneurial spirit and drive to consider putting up his/her own shingle!


As a volunteer with SCORE – Counselors to Small Business, I have opportunities to meet and discuss with clients their dreams of opening their own business. There three basic strategies to follow when your objective is to open a business:


1. Buy an existing business


2. Buy a franchise


3. Start your own business from scratch


Space in this blog does not permit a detailed discussion of these options; however, a SCORE counselor will be pleased to provide you assistance at no cost. If you are considering opening your own business, I suggested that you review the information on the SCORE website: www.score.org.


If you have tried one or more of these strategies to open your own business, please share your experience in this blog.


Thanks! Glyn


No comments:

Post a Comment