Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Have You Stopped Looking for a Job?

I am thinking that many job seekers are discouraged and have stopped looking for a job. An article in the Dallas Morning News in its February 7, 2010, issue suggests that the sooner you work through your feelings, the sooner you will be back to work – somewhere!


You may be spending too much time looking back with regret; however, your future job is not in your past!  I suggest that you spend some time listing your strengths and mapping your strengths to organizations that can take advantage of them. Further, once such organizations have been identified, you should activate a strategy to get in front of the organizations’ hiring managers.


For those job seekers who have not given-up looking for jobs, please share your words of encouragement with others in this blog.


Thanks! Glyn

2 comments:

  1. Hi Glyn,
    I have been reading your blog for about a month now - my husband, Chad, came and spoke to you looking for some advice through your consultation program (which I think is pretty wonderful for you guys to be helping others, especially in this economy). I was laid off 6 months ago from a highly esteemed architecture firm, and I would have to say, the frustration of looking for jobs definitely came in waves for me. I allowed myself to be frustrated, but only for 5 minutes a day. For this 5 minutes, I would scream, cry, punch some pillows, whatever got it out. After my 5 minutes were up, though, I would focus on reading something encouraging or calling an old friend that was still in Architecture. Then, it was back to the search. This is actually how I was fortunate enough to find a job last week. I called a friend from college, just to see how things were, and she asked about the job search, and one thing led to another, and within a few days, I had an interview set up at her firm. I think these days, finding a job is almost like finding a partner - it's in the one place you least expect.
    Thanks for your blog! I enjoy reading it, you always have great advice!
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your finding a job, Nellie! Networking is a great technique in finding employment. Your comments are encouraging to all job seekers.
    Thanks. Glyn

    ReplyDelete