Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Jobs that Used to Be


An article in the June 5, 2014, edition of The Dallas Morning News on page 1B by Steve Blow, “The stuff that used to be here”, got my attention today and inspired me to make a variation of stuff to jobs.  Steve, while on his way home, recalls many landmarks that have disappeared. For examples, a Phillips Service Station, a Kmart, Food Lion, a Kips, Chuck Wagon, Casa View Baptist Church no longer exist.

So I started thinking about the jobs that I held that no longer exist.  Being a farm boy, I remember a roller for newly planted cotton powered by a mule, an F20 Farmall Tractor for two row cultivation of cotton and corn.  Later after joining IBM, I recall key punch operators, punch card machines, batch balancing and coding sheets.  My wife recalls manually calculating bank services charges with a 10-key adding machine.  A secretary tried to read my writing so she could type a memo for my boss.

If we project 40 – 50 years from now, what jobs that exist today will vanish?  My  message to job seekers to continue training and upgrading your work skills because in most cases the jobs you can do today probably will not exist in the future.

Please comment in this bIog or email at mailto:glynjordan@gmail.com jobs that you used to hold and what jobs today may not exist in the future.         

Thanks!


Glyn

1 comment: