Monday, February 3, 2014

Interviewing Techniques


This past weekend I had the opportunity to listen to the president of my granddaughter’s university discuss some differences between successful individuals and others.  One point that he made was the importance of making a good first impression.  

This speech got me thinking again about how essential it is to make a positive impression during a job interview.  As I was thinking about remarks, I returned to my book Getting Jobs by Glyn Jordan, and reread Section V – Interviewing Techniques.
 
Below are key topics for job seekers to review as they prepare for a job interview:

1.   Research the hiring organization and its advertised job openings

2.   Dress appropriately making and pay attention to proper hygiene

3.   Always remain positive in all your communications

4.   Be truthful in responses to questions while avoiding confessions of shortcomings

5.   Develop and practice a 30 second elevator speech summarizing who you are and the benefits you can provide the hiring organization

6.   Maintain qualified work and personal references

7.   Practice responses to typical interviewer questions including:
What are your greatest strengths, weaknesses, accomplishments, and failures?  Describe your best and worst boss.

I recognize that the first critical task is to land a job interview.  I encourage readers of this blog to share your advice with job seekers in getting the interview with your comments or by emailing me at glynjordan@gmail.com.
 
Thanks!   Glyn


No comments:

Post a Comment