Sunday, October 13, 2013

Getting a Job Without Experience


My wife and I have four grandchildren graduating from college this year so finding their first job is an imperative!  I think that we all either face or have faced this problem when we started out on our own.

I was an ROTC graduate so I immediately was employed by the US Army.  My wife graduated and obtained a teacher certificate so she became a substitute teacher at high schools.  We were fortunate because these initial jobs led to jobs requiring experience.

I suggest that you make a list of your target jobs and begin your job search.  There are many websites containing job ads.  In addition, career fairs, non-for-profit organizations seminars, state employment commissions, college placement services are potential sources of job leads.  I always recommend extensive use of networking with family, friends, and neighbors.

Most important, you must remember that finding a job is a full-time job and that you must maintain your energy level, and that you should avoid becoming discouraged.  The next contact you make may be the one that results in a job!   

Here are some websites that may provide leads to jobs that require little or no experience:

Companies that hire college graduates:

A Job Seeker’s Guide to Personal Branding

Facebook reference:

Please comment in this blog or email me at glynjordan@gmail.com your suggestions for individuals seeking employment who have little or no actual work experience.   


Thanks, Glyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment