Sunday, July 14, 2013

Focused Job Search


I am a mentor for Score (Counselors for Small Business -- http://www.score.org), and several of my last clients seem to be doing several things at once.  For example, one client wants to open a farmers market in her town, while serving as a representative for a real estate investment  organization , shadowing the president of a small business, and continuing her college education.

I am thinking that being involved in several activities detracts from a primary objective of finding a permanent employment or establishing a small business.  As I have written in previous blogs, it is important that job seekers identify a priority list of achievable objectives (the what).  Based on this list of objectives, an individual should develop strategies to accomplish the objectives (the how).

My suggestion to job seekers is that they clearly define their target job, and then develop job seeking strategies for landing the job.  If this approach yields no success, I suggest that job seekers broaden the targeted market and modify job seeking strategies for the new target.

I recognize that the current labor market is tight and that there are many individuals seeking jobs.   However, looking for a job is a full-time job, and focusing on specific a area may yield positive results – a job opportunity.

If you found employment based on a focused job search, please share your experience by commenting in this blog or emailing me at 
glynjordan@gmail.com.


Thanks, Glyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment