Sunday, September 9, 2012

A New Blog – Vector Crossings!




Have you ever experienced a life changing experience?  I have named such experiences as vector crossings.  As we live our lives we are moving in a direction toward a goal - our planned destination.  However, sometimes things change, and we change our destination.  This life changing event may be result of an interaction with another person or it may be just an observed event.

The Vector Crossing Blog is a vehicle for us to share these life changing experiences.  I will share my personal vector crossings in this blog to get us started.  Down the road I plan to publish a book about Vector Crossings, and I hope to include experiences shared by my blog readers in the book.

Here is one example of my personal vector crossing:
Data Processing Managers Association Meeting
One of my many jobs was selling professional services to organizations needing programming assistance.  We called the field contract programming.  A kinder term is staff augmentation or perhaps temporary staffing. 
Anyway, I frequently attended professional organizations where data processing managers (my customers) met to share ideas, hear speakers and enjoy food and drink(s). 

One evening the speaker was the information systems manager for a Dallas public utility.  His presentation was quite long and boring to me.  He used many, many, slides with blue background and yellow text.   I was at the back of the room paying little attention after having provided refreshment for not only my customers but for myself.  

When the speaker finally completed his presentation, the organization president announced that the speaker had just completed his Ph.D. at The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD).

The statement got my attention (Vector Crossing).  I thought to myself  if that person could get a Ph.D., so could I.   The very next day I contacted UTD and began four years of night school which resulted in my earning a Ph.D.

Take a look at this new blog:



 

Please comment in the blog or email me at glynjordan@gmail.com your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks,  Glyn

No comments:

Post a Comment