Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Where Are the Shade Tree Automobile Mechanics?


For many years I performed routine maintenance on my autos.  I was pretty good at changing the oil and filters, adding antifreeze and windshield cleaner and airing my tires.  However, I seldom replaced spark plugs or rotated tires.

Have you looked under the hood of the 2011 or 2012 model cars? I was amazed at the view!  I frankly could not recognize or identify most of the modules hidden under the covers.

An article in the March 18, 2012, edition of The Dallas Morning News on page 1D has an article by Terry Box, “A Going Concern”, discusses how the repair of automobiles has become more complicated requiring technically trained and experienced personnel. One large dealership in the Dallas area has a technology center within its service department! 

Since 11 million new cars are produced annually in the US, the need for trained personnel to maintain this new fleet continues to grow. The article states that personnel will be able to command some serious money.

My suggestion to anyone who has a love for fixing things, especially for anything automotive, that you investigate automotive maintenance and repair training available.  The article discusses the training provided by Universal Technical Institute of Irving; however, I am sure that a search on the Internet will find many similar organizations in your area.

You do not need an Ivy League degree to make decent money and have a very rewarding occupation that is your passion.  

Please share your thinking about the many jobs opportunities that technologies offer with readers of this blog by posting your comments here or emailing me at glynjordan@gmail.com.

Thanks, Glyn

No comments:

Post a Comment