Saturday, March 3, 2012

We Should All Be More Like Lucy!



I bet you are thinking that I am referring to Lucy in the comic strip Charlie Brown by the late, legendary cartoonist Charles M. Schultz.  No, I am writing about Lucy, our waitress at the Black Eyed Pea on Cedar Springs Road.

My wife and I are weekly customers at the Black Eyed Pea, typically on Tuesdays.  When we arrive we immediately go to our usual table, or unfortunately if it is occupied, we may be forced to select an alternate table, but still in Lucy’s domain.  All the wait staff knows that we are Lucy’s customers.  

Nevertheless, we are always met by a smiling Lucy who greets us with our favorite drinks, an Arnold Palmer for Ann and a regular ice tea for me. She immediately asks how we are doing and calls us by name.  In response to our questions, she often states that everything is great even though after some questioning she may mention the illness of a family member.

“What are you having today - the usual?” Sometimes we can even refer to menus.  “I’ll bring you some hot rolls and cornbread here in a minute,” she says.  On finishing our meal, she asked if we want dessert and brings paper cups with refills of our drinks as she delivers our check saying “see you next time!”

Why are we such loyal customers to the Black Eyed Pea?  The food is good, but Dallas is replete with great restaurants.  I am thinking that Lucy is the key ingredient for the success of the Cedar Springs Black Eyed Pea.

So what does Lucy have to do with finding jobs?  I am thinking that a positive attitude, attention to detail, and love for others may be suggestions that Lucy perhaps unknowing provides us all especially if we are looking for work.

Please let me know if someone makes your day by posting your comments here or emailing me at glynjordan@gmail.com.
          Thanks.   Glyn

No comments:

Post a Comment