Sunday, May 15, 2011

Finding the Hiring Organization



I periodically serve as a job counselor at North Dallas Shared Ministries (www.ndsm.org).  Many of my clients seeking employment do not own computers, and some have no computer skills.  As I try to assist them, I find many job postings on such jobs sites as Monster.com, Craiglist.com, hotJobs.com, and Indeed.com. Unfortunately for the job seekers, they are required to post their resumes on line, and the hiring company is frequently not disclosed. 

Finding the hiring organization requires some detective work on my part.  Based on the information provided in the ad, I am often able to navigate to the hiring company’s web site where I can find telephone numbers and addresses.  It is up to the job seeker to contact the hiring company and request an interview.

Clients that post their resumes on job boards many times never receive any responses.  Rather than waiting for a reply that may or may not occur, I suggest a proactive approach.  An article in The Dallas Morning News in its May 15, 2011, issue, “Internet isn’t the Only Way to Finding a Job” by Amy Winters of Creators Syndicate, on page 1J quoting John A. Challenger who suggests that a job seeker visit company websites to obtain valuable contact information.  The job seeker should email the hiring person including specifics about his/her qualifications and experience.  Further, I think that it important to state that he/she is immediately available and ready to get to work!          .

Please share with readers of this blog your proactive, successful strategies for finding a job.

Thanks!    Glyn    


No comments:

Post a Comment