Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy A New Year – 2010!

Below is a link to a December 2009 letter written to Crabby, Kurt MacRae. I think that the resolutions in this posting may be helpful to unemployed job seekers.


http://www.examiner.com/x-10186-Job-Search-Examiner~y2009m12d26-Jobsearch-resoltuions-2010-and-Crabbys-comments


Dear Crabby,


I wrote some resolutions for the New Year. 2009 was not my finest year, and I am thinking that I need to do something about it in 2010. My job-search seemed to stall, there were some things I wanted to change anyway, and maybe those will help my search.


It's time to be pro-active, positive, and productive, and to that end, I wanted to share these and ask if you had any to add, that you would add as suggestions. Thanks for being there this year; I hope you'll stay with us in 2010.


Pro-active in Pittsburgh


2010 Resolutions


1. I resolve to lose 40 pounds. While that shouldn't make a difference in my job-search, perhaps this added weight is affecting people's opinions as to whether I can do my job, or if I have enough drive to accomplish a goal; I'm going to drive to accomplish that goal now.


2. I am going to appreciate my family, my friends, my community, and I'm going to let them know it. Sometimes it's easy, when times are tough, to ignore those relationships that are strongest and most important. I want to keep those strong.


3. I'm going to take time for me; I'm going to learn something new, or play an instrument, or get involved in a sports league or volunteer work, that makes me feel good.


4. I will dedicate one day each week to the job boards. I will reset my search criteria and get emails only once per week; will that hinder my search? Companies are moving so slowly in hiring anyway, it seems to make sense, and will reduce my stress levels. I'm wasting time looking at every email as it comes into my mailbox.


5. I will attend at least one networking event each week, and I will focus not only on events for those out of work but, business events where I can mingle with other working people.


6. I will target companies I want to work for, and I will research those companies so I'll be will-informed when I talk to hiring managers.


7. I plan to stay positive: It is easy to get down, and I have from time to time, especially when all of the interviews have not panned out the way I had hoped. Rejection is part of this game so the more work I do, the more rejections I may get but that simply means the closer I will be to landing a new position.


8. I'll invest some of my time into a good, ongoing support group/workshop with other people who are looking for new opportunities. It's a good opportunity to network, share in positive re-enforcement, and gain some new insights and ideas for my job-search (one good idea that nets me a shot, can make my time investment a huge money-saver).


9. I will write down my goals, both personal and professional, by 1/1/2010, and I will monitor those all year.


Crabby, that's about it, and obviously some other tasks will tag along with these nine. I wanted to share these with your readers and see if you, or any of your readers, would like to suggest more.
Thanks, Happy New Year..


I encourage readers to post job search questions and strategies for finding a job which have worked for you.


Best wishes to all for a great 2010!






Thanks! Glyn






No comments:

Post a Comment