Sunday, August 23, 2009

Questions for Glyn

In this post, I encourage all readers to ask me job search questions. I will do my best to answer your questions, and I encouage all readers to contribute. I do not pretend to know answers to all questions and need your assistance.

Here is the first question from one of my online students:


Glyn, may I ask (hope you don't mind) what is the first item you tackle when counseling these unemployed folks ? resume? or their frame of mind to understand the job is an important asset ?

In my opinion, the attitude or frame of mind is crucial. One can have the best possible resume but if the attitude stinks and usually surfaces during an interview or in the job-hunting process - the potential opportunity goes out the window. Am I totally wrong in my perception?

Glyn's response:

I always begin by asking clients about their work experiences and their specials skills. I am a big believer in going with one's strengths. I think that it is much easier to get a job which takes advantage of your strengths and experiences. We can all learn, but many organizations are looking for individuals that can immediate contribute.

Resumes are a necessity; however, resumes should stress accomplishments. Resumes that appear to be job descriptions are not very helpful. Hiring managers generally understand the job; what they want to know is what you have accomplished in the job.

A positive attitude is essential in any job search. I think that an applicant’s objective should always be to get a job offer. Therefore, one should always do his/her best in interviews. If you do not want the job that is offered, then you can always turn it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment