Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Marketing a Book


As mentioned several times in this blog, I have published a book containing over 200 of the individuals blogs that I have posted since August 2009, Getting Jobs by Glyn Jordan.  I consider this book a “bucket list entry” for me!

Now the challenge facing me and other new authors is how to market their books.  I have written blogs about brands, objectives, and strategies so I thought I could apply my own advice in marketing the book.  I received a very informative response letter from Barnes & Noble Small Press Department.  The following are excerpts from the letter:
     As you are well aware, most self-published books are made possible by print-on-demand technologies.  This efficient method of publishing enables many more writers to have their books enter the marketplace. ….
     Our research has shown us that most self-published titles sell about 100 copies, and most of those to friends and family. … In most of those cases, our store managers respond to their customers’ requests and order the title, but they never place speculative orders. …
     You should also understand that we have no bias against self-publishing. Quite the contrary. There are now more than 100,000 self-published titles available on Barnes & Noble.com (www.bn.com) and for special order in our stores.  You may be interested to know that less five percent of our sales are from best sellers.
     Your book is available for special order at more that 700 Barnes & Noble stores and online at Barnes and Nobel.com (www.bn.com).

I am very encouraged by the fast response I received from Barnes and Noble and found that my book is in fact available at a discounted price on its Internet site.

As I continue my book marketing efforts, I encourage readers to provide me marketing suggestions by commenting in this blog or email me at glynjordan@gmail.com. 
   
Thanks!
 
 Glyn

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the good tips provided here! I agree that we have to have an action plan in place before making the offer and we should be sure about it…
    Removalist Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Becca. Please share your job search tips with other readers of this blog. Glyn

      Delete