Sunday, October 30, 2011

Seasonal Work and Picking Cherries

When I was posting the blog about seasonal home-based work, I was thinking about an article that I just read about the need for seasonal workers in many areas of U.S. agriculture.  Increased action by governments to control illegal workers has resulting in shortages of agricultural workers in many areas within the U.S.

I support such action and am wondering with our high levels of unemployment, why U.S. workers cannot meet these demands.  I recognize that the agricultural jobs require skill and experience; however, both can be achieved by U.S. citizens. Perhaps the pay is insufficient to attract workers to temporarily relocate to the work areas.  But if the financial losses are significant, perhaps the operators may be willing to pay wages that will attract workers.

My wife and I were in Oregon in August and visited The Dalles which just completed its annual cherry harvest.  A waitress at a restaurant told us that the area was filled pickers that return every year for the cherry harvest.  I am sure California, Texas and many other states depend on such migrate labor during critical harvests. Is this shortage of seasonal workers a problem that can be solved or reduced by U.S. workers?   

What do you think?  Please share your thoughts with readers of this blog.

Thanks.


Glyn












 


















No comments:

Post a Comment