Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Take Advantage of Layoff to Learn and Grow

As suggested in an article on page 1J, in the December 6, 2009, edition of The Dallas Morning News, by Cheri Butler, Associate Director of Career Development of the University of Texas at Arlington, there are several ways that laid-off workers can effectively spend their time. Here are some ideas suggested in the article:

1. Spending more time with family and friends
2. Fixing up your home
3. Exercising
4. Relaxing
5. Volunteering
6. Going back to school
7. Starting your own business
8. Traveling

I am not so sure of these ideas, however. When I have been out of a job, I was very uptight and spent day and night seeking employment and worrying, but that is just me. I do remember, however, spending a great deal of time replacing fence posts in my backyard. Perhaps taking some diversionary projects is a good idea.

Please comment in this blog if you have suggestions to job seekers as to how they can use their time while not looking for a job.

Thanks! Glyn

No comments:

Post a Comment